Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Earth-friendly consumerism

Dear reader, I am asking you to change the way you shop. I propose that you begin with one new change each time you grocery shop. I would like to suggest that you begin with your household cleaning products. There are several lines of household and laundry products that are earth friendly in their ingredients. These products are made from vegetable based ingredients rather than petroleum based ones. I, personally, have switched to Seventh Generation laundry soap. If my laundry is particularly soiled I add some 20 Mule Team Borax to that load for an added boost. I feel like this is a step in the right direction. Now, if manufacturers could come up with a different type of packaging material that would not add such a large load on our landfills, that would be even better...but at least they come in recylclable containers.

I have also begun purchasing Mrs. Meyers cleaning supplies....dishwashing and dishwasher detergents, window and countertop cleaners and scrubbing powder. They come in a yummy, fresh lemon verbena fragrance, so the house smells terrific.

It is a small change, but it makes a difference. First of all, with these products you are no longer dumping toxic phosphates and petroleum products back into the water supply. Also because petroleum is used in the manufacturing process, we can reduce our oil consumption with these products. They are milder on your skin and they are pet friendly. There are no toxic fumes being released in your house to degrade the air quality. The list of advantages goes on and on. I thing perhaps the only disadvantage might be the price. They are a little more expensive than the run-of-the-mill off-the-shelf brands, but to me it is worth it in the end. I would pay a little extra to help protect our environment. Will you please consider it, too?

No comments: